PDA

View Full Version : Is Eric Clapton bisexual?

leizy
Oct 19, 2007, 9:18 AM
In an interview yesterday, Clapton made the comment that when he got sober, his sex life suffered, because "sexual contact with the opposite sex had always involved alcohol," and went on to explain how he used alcohol as a false confidence of sorts. But, why did he have to make the distinction about "opposite sex?"

Has anyone read his autobio, and does it offer clues or answers?

cheers
david

brunette
Oct 19, 2007, 9:53 AM
i just got done with his autobiography, and he mentions nothing about sexual relationships with the same sex. after reading his book, i'm gonna say he's not.

probably what he meant in the interview is what he kept repeating in the book. he was very shy growing up, and the first time he tried to get to know a girl, he was punished extensively. he used alcohol later in life to gain the confidence to talk to women.

anyway, it was a good book. you should read it.

damit1963
Oct 19, 2007, 11:33 AM
After seeing different things about how he chased after George Harrison's wife I don't think so either. I don't think he would have pursued her so enthusiastically if he was a bi.

frenchvikki
Oct 19, 2007, 7:53 PM
It is a common use of speech to refer to sex as relations with the opposite sex. Many people use it and it mostly signifies absolutely nothing.

TaylorMade
Oct 19, 2007, 8:01 PM
After seeing different things about how he chased after George Harrison's wife I don't think so either. I don't think he would have pursued her so enthusiastically if he was a bi.

That seems like a silly thing to say. I think when a bi person is in love...he or she pursues the object of their affection with intense ardor, no matter the gender.

*Taylor*

damit1963
Oct 19, 2007, 11:39 PM
Sorry Taylor, it's just how I feel after watching a couple shows about the 2 of them. I don't remember where I saw the female speaking but she never mentioned anything about Eric checking out anyone but her, and they were at plenty of parties together in the 60's and 70's, and we know now how promiscuous a time it was back then. I also saw Eric on the Today show and a few other interviews about his book and he never mentioned anything about the same sex in anything other than a friends only style. I'm sorry that I am not putting it down in black and white the way I see things. Even reading this over it still doesn't quite sound right even though I know what I mean.

wolfcamp
Oct 20, 2007, 12:31 AM
I watched a short portion of a Larry King interview with Eric Clapton about a week ago. I only watched about 10 minutes, but one thing that caught my attention was that Clapton said he had never really experienced true love. I don't know what that means, exactly, but I thought it was an interesting statement, sort of like my own experience, in a way.

DiamondDog
Oct 20, 2007, 12:45 AM
It means that he associated having sex with women with being drunk/intoxicated on alcohol.

Germanicus
Oct 20, 2007, 5:33 AM
One shouldnt view every comment about someone's sex life through the distorting prism of Bisexuality ...

For those who have read Claption's biography they will perhaps remember his childhood and who his "sister" really was. I think that puts his comment into perspective.

wolfcamp
Oct 20, 2007, 11:16 AM
It means that he associated having sex with women with being drunk/intoxicated on alcohol.

I don't think it means that at all. He wasn't always drunk/intoxicated. The drugs and alcohol were a way of coping with something else that was going on with him, possibly feelings of inadequacy (yes, even though he was a brilliant musician), or maybe he was just overwhelmed by success. Who knows?. Alcohol probably helped lower his inhibitions to approach women, and without that crutch it was more difficult for him.

TaylorMade
Oct 20, 2007, 8:58 PM
I don't think it means that at all. He wasn't always drunk/intoxicated. The drugs and alcohol were a way of coping with something else that was going on with him, possibly feelings of inadequacy (yes, even though he was a brilliant musician), or maybe he was just overwhelmed by success. Who knows?. Alcohol probably helped lower his inhibitions to approach women, and without that crutch it was more difficult for him.

http://www.sidneychurlbert.com/images/GoodAnswer.jpg
I actually mean it sincerely. :)

*Taylor*

leizy
Oct 20, 2007, 10:21 PM
I agree - I think wolfcamp wrapped this one up. Thanks!
david

laylaman
Oct 21, 2007, 3:35 AM
I agree - I think wolfcamp wrapped this one up. Thanks!
david

He may not have been then or aware of it then. It does not indicate what he is now.