Register

Evening in the Forest

1. Cum1st
    Cum1st
    The dog and I went for a hike night before last. About four hours. Home by 12:45. About one quarter was bushwhacking (no trail) in unfamiliar woods. The rest was on logging roads except for the return trip, mostly on gravel forest roads. The turn around was at a shelter on the Appalachian Trail where we cooked up some turkey dogs on a quick small fire. Put on another layer of warmth and headed back. Wearing new shoes, I was glad to see the truck.

Didn’t see anyone the whole time, but did get within a hundred yards of a pair of owls hunting loudly. The creeks were up some but still crystal clear. Otherwise it was dead quiet with no wind, like it usually is at night on the mountain.

Good night out, but it would have been better with someone(s) to share it with.

Going out tonight if there isn’t much chance of rain.
  2. fun2bhung
    fun2bhung
    Sounds like you had a great hike. I am headed to Wesser soon to do some of the AT. Timing it around the full moon and hope the sky's are clear.
  3. BiBIKER065
    BiBIKER065
    Well Cum1st, I like your stories, in fact you sound a lot like me and I see you like the sounds of the forrest, something I truely can appreciate.
  4. Cum1st
    Cum1st
    fun2bhung, Glad to hear you’re getting out. The 15th is going to be a full blood moon. Don’t want to miss that.

BiBIKER065, Stopping at the right time can kick up a deer or a turkey that sounds like a B-17 after hours of near silence. It's quite a thrill. One night, while walking a ridge without a light, I kicked up 30 or 40 turkeys roosting in a tree. That was electrifying. On a quiet night a bear bolting through heavy brush or up a tree from 15 or 20 feet ahead is a whole nother kinda thrill.

By those standards nothing much happened Sunday. Hiked from 4:30 in the afternoon till 12:30. Beats prime time TV every time. Like to get out at least three times a week. It keeps the bite out of arthritis.

Yummy cock shots! Wish you guys lived closer.